Miners plate 10, top River Valley
February 28, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team started off its 2013 campaign on the right foot Thursday, topping the River Valley Falcons, 10-0, at home in five innings.
The Miners (1-0) got a stellar performance on the mound from third-year varsity pitcher Ryan McCarthy. The senior righty threw all five innings, allowed one hit, one walk and struck out two.
River Valley's lone hit was an infield single that led off the game.
"Our defense played really well," NU head coach Ted White said. "Ryan only struck out two and we had no errors, so our defense did a great job today."
At the plate junior catcher Dylan Conger went 3-for-3 with a double and a pair of RBIs. Junior outfielder Jakob Freele also had a double and two RBIs while going 2-for-3 in the game.
Travis Hansen played a strong third base accounting for five assists on the day.
Supporters of the NU baseball program are invited to Cow Patty Bingo Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Nevada Union varsity baseball field. There will be live music, games, barbecue, raffle prizes and more at the fundraising event.
The Miners take the field again at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when they host Whitney.
Nevada Union 198, Napa 213, Yuba City 250
The Miners moved to 4-0 in non-league play Thursday, cruising past Napa and Yuba City in a three-way match at Alta Sierra Country Club.Nevada Union's Logan Lowe was the medalist with the low round of the day, shooting a one-over-par 37.Derek Frank and Andrew Puleo each shot a round of 38 for NU, Bert Heinzelman finished with a 40 and Brad Carrion rounded things out with a 45.The Miners are back on the links Tuesday when they host Lincoln.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial