Miners move to 6-0, sweep Bruins
June 13, 2013
The Grass Valley Miners made it three straight wins against Bear River Thursday and six straight to start the American Legion season.
The Miners scored eight runs and amassed 11 hits in their 8-5 victory over Bear River at the Bruins' home diamond, making it a clean sweep for the North County team over the South County team.
Coming into the game, the Miners had outscored Bear River 23-1 in the first two games and allowed only two hits. But in Thursday's matchup, they found themselves staring down 4-0 early.
Grass Valley would claw back though and eventually take the lead for good in a three-run sixth inning that was highlighted by Zach Garrity's RBI go-ahead single.
After taking the lead, the Miners' Chris Sardo, throwing in relief of starting pitcher Garrett O'Callaghan, shut down any comeback attempt. Sardo pitched the final three innings without allowing a run and striking out six.
O'Callaghan went the first four innings, striking out four and allowing five runs, most of which were unearned, said Grass Valley coach Jim Souza.
Other Miners who made an impact at the plate were Jakob Freele going 2-for-2 from the leadoff spot, Dalton Maxwell adding an RBI single, Sam Powell chipping in a pair of base knocks, Christian Straub reachingbase with a single, Brady Porter going 1-for-2, Tristian Cook with a hit and an RBI and Jordan Jiannino rounding out the day with a pair of singles.
The Miners (6-0) are back at it Saturday, hoping to keep their undefeated streak going, when they travel for a tournament in Chico.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)