Miners, Lowe impress at SFL tourney
March 31, 2014
The Nevada Union boys golf team had struggled out of the gate this season, winning just one of its first five Sierra Foothill League contests. But, things may be turning around, and just in time.
The Miners placed second at the season's first SFL tournament, scoring a 408 as a team and falling just one stroke shy of tourney winner Del Oro.
"This was huge for us," NU head coach Hank Davidson said. "Hopefully we can build some momentum heading into the second half of the season."
Nevada Union's Logan Lowe tallied the best score of the day, carding a 75 on the par-72 Sierra View Country Club course in Roseville, to win the individual portion of the tourney.
Derek Frank also had a strong day for the Miners, finishing with a 78. Andrew Puleo closed with an 83, Brad Carrion ended with an 84 and Corey Cezak rounded out the scoring with an 88.
Final team scores were Del Oro (407), Nevada Union (408), Granite Bay (414), Rocklin (415), Woodcreek (429) and Roseville (435).
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws