Miners fall to Galena
December 26, 2012
The Nevada Union basketball team traveled more than 550 miles to play a team that resides only 90 minutes away.
In the first round of the Mt. Carmel Holiday Hoops Tournament in San Diego, the Miners fell to Galena of Reno, 58-43.
Leading the Miners in the loss were Cody Gardner and Lucas Vojak with 12 points each. Nolan Stefani added eight points, including two 3-pointers, and Elliot Fournier had a good game on both sides of the court, finishing with eight points.
Nevada Union held a 26-23 halftime lead, but the Miners were unable to maintain, as they were outscored 35-17 in the final two quarters.
Despite the Miners struggling in the second half on offense, NU head coach Jeff Dellis said he was happy with the way his team played defense.
NU held Galena's Caleb Wood, who averages 14.1 points per game, to only eight. The Miners held Galena's 6-foot, 9-inch E.J. Poulsen to just four points and 6-foot, 7-inch Kirk Gunderson to a mere two points.
"Ultimately they were deeper than us," said Dellis.
The Miners (5-7) take on host Mt. Carmel today in the second round of the tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)