Miners, Bruins to scrimmage Saturday
August 19, 2014
The 2014 prep football season kicks off for local teams Aug. 29, but fans won't have to wait that long to get a taste of what's to come as the Bear River Bruins and Nevada Union Miners will link up in a preseason scrimmage Saturday.
"It used to be I hated it, because it was such a big deal when I first got here and they were so far above us," Bear River co-head coach Terry Logue said. "But gradually we started to catch up."
The once-annual scrimmage had endured a more than half-decade absence before the two squads decided to matchup again.
"With their wing-T, summer practices and zero period, they were always way ahead of us," Logue said. "It was always hard for us to focus on the first game when we had that scrimmage. But, now it seems like some of the teams in our league are running the wing-T, especially Placer, so it makes more sense for us to scrimmage them again."
Joining in on the fun will also be the Mavericks from Mesa Verde.
Bear River will host this year's scrimmage at J. David Ramsey Field with the Frosh and JV teams scrimmaging at 6 p.m. and the varsity teams meeting up at 7 p.m.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- NORDIC SKI: Lady Miners place 2nd at state championships
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs