Miners, Bruins to scrimmage Saturday
August 19, 2014
The 2014 prep football season kicks off for local teams Aug. 29, but fans won't have to wait that long to get a taste of what's to come as the Bear River Bruins and Nevada Union Miners will link up in a preseason scrimmage Saturday.
"It used to be I hated it, because it was such a big deal when I first got here and they were so far above us," Bear River co-head coach Terry Logue said. "But gradually we started to catch up."
The once-annual scrimmage had endured a more than half-decade absence before the two squads decided to matchup again.
"With their wing-T, summer practices and zero period, they were always way ahead of us," Logue said. "It was always hard for us to focus on the first game when we had that scrimmage. But, now it seems like some of the teams in our league are running the wing-T, especially Placer, so it makes more sense for us to scrimmage them again."
Joining in on the fun will also be the Mavericks from Mesa Verde.
Bear River will host this year's scrimmage at J. David Ramsey Field with the Frosh and JV teams scrimmaging at 6 p.m. and the varsity teams meeting up at 7 p.m.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier