Migliozzi sets new school record at NU/BR Invite
May 9, 2014
Nearly 700 track and field athletes from 30 high schools descended on Hooper Stadium Friday for the Nevada Union/Bear River Invitational.
On a stage littered with talented prep athletes, the Miners were producing some of the early highlights on their home track.
Senior distance runner Garrett Migliozzi wowed the crowd by breaking his second school record in as many weeks.
Migliozzi broke Nevada Union's 27-year-old 1600-meter record, beating Chris Bray's 1987 time of 4 minutes, 13.2 seconds. Migliozzi clocked an official time of 4:12.6.
"It felt good," Migliozzi said. "I puked like three times afterwards, but it's all good. I ran a 4:12, so all things considered it was good."
Migliozzi went on to say he enjoys running on his home track because of the support he receives from the rest of the Miners' team.
Migliozzi had predicted that he would top the school's 1600 record last week when he set the school record in the 800.
On the girls side, Melanie O'Brien took second in the 100 hurdles with a time of 16.16. Maya Arthur from Mira Loma took first with a time of 15.99.
The Lady Miners peppered the leaderboard in the girls 1600 with sophomore Nora Pizzella taking second with a time of 5:16.81, Erica Wolf placing fifth with a time of 5:27.48 and Joy Castro-Wehr in seventh with a time of 5:33.81.
Other Miners to make an early mark at the meet were Collin Echols, placing fifth in the boys 110 hurdles, David Clouse taking fifth in the boys 400, and the NU 4-by-100 team taking second.
Visit Athletic.net. for results.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws