Magic win Surf City Slam tourney
April 16, 2013
The Grass Valley Magic, an AAU girls basketball team comprised of Nevada Union basketball players, had their first taste of elite competition and rose to the occasion.
The Magic won all three of their games at the Surf City Slam Tournament this weekend to win the Elite Division championship.
Facing Metro San Jose in their final game, the Magic got out to an early 12-1 lead but relinquished the lead in the second half. The Magic bounced back, ending strong for the win, 52-42.
In the championship game, Sydney Porter and Melanie O'Brien led the Magic with 12 points each and Sammy DeHart added 11 in the win. Emma Peterson chipped in seven points, and Katie Johnson contributed strong minutes.
To get into the championship game the Magic topped the Olympic Club, 65-46, behind 18 points from Nicole Lierly.
Porter was the second highest scorer on the team with 15, and DeHart added eight points, four rebounds and four steals. Selleck chipped in eight points to go with six assists in the win.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local