Magic win Surf City Slam tourney
April 16, 2013
The Grass Valley Magic, an AAU girls basketball team comprised of Nevada Union basketball players, had their first taste of elite competition and rose to the occasion.
The Magic won all three of their games at the Surf City Slam Tournament this weekend to win the Elite Division championship.
Facing Metro San Jose in their final game, the Magic got out to an early 12-1 lead but relinquished the lead in the second half. The Magic bounced back, ending strong for the win, 52-42.
In the championship game, Sydney Porter and Melanie O'Brien led the Magic with 12 points each and Sammy DeHart added 11 in the win. Emma Peterson chipped in seven points, and Katie Johnson contributed strong minutes.
To get into the championship game the Magic topped the Olympic Club, 65-46, behind 18 points from Nicole Lierly.
Porter was the second highest scorer on the team with 15, and DeHart added eight points, four rebounds and four steals. Selleck chipped in eight points to go with six assists in the win.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed