Looking good, feeling great
March 12, 2013
Nevada County is 720 pounds lighter and 515 inches smaller than it was six weeks ago thanks to the Thinner Winner contest hosted by Joey Bratton's Fit Culture Studio.
The weight-loss competition, loosely based on the hit TV show "The Biggest Loser," drew 88 participants who made up 15 teams with the lure of a cash prize as an incentive to get fit.
And while 87 of the 88 participants lost weight during the competition, one team's pockets got a lot heavier.
The Contenders team, made up of Jennifer Maier, Kathie Mathiesen, Mike Bratton, George Maier, Jason Maier and Marlene Soldani, won the $1,000 cash prize by losing a total of 88.7 pounds and 9.1 percent of its total body weight.
"We didn't let people know who was winning," Joey Bratton said of keeping teams motivated throughout the competition. "We just said it was close because it was close. I was actually surprised how taking the percentage of total weight lost really leveled the playing field. The contenders won, but the second-place team was like one percentage point behind them."
Individual winners were Kathy Mathiesen with weight-loss totals of 24.9 pounds and 14.9 percent of her body weight. Ken Pardini was the individual Thinner Winner on the men's side with a loss of 22.9 pounds and 9.37 percent of his total body weight.
Recommended Stories For You
The most-inches-lost winners were Ellen Baxter and Matt Peterson. The individual weight-loss winners will receive a gift certificate for a massage, and the inch-loss winners will receive $25 gift certificates to Mountain Recreation.
The average weight loss during the competition was 8.37 pounds per participant, said Joey Bratton.
"What I've noticed is people do like these programs," he said. "The ultimate goal is to do these programs and give them the education they need to transition out of them.
"I'm super proud of the clients and the hard work they put in. I mean they made the program happen, they made the program have a lot of energy, so everyone won. There's not just one winner. Everyone won and everyone was positive."
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax soars to win over rival Bear River (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners struggle to finish drives, fall to Grizzlies
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union set to face Granite Bay at Hooper Stadium
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site