Local gymnasts shine at state, regional meets
April 24, 2013
The Gold Country Gymnastics team had a strong showing at the state meet in Oroville and several parlayed that performance into a strong showing at the regional meet.
Katherine Magill, the lone female from Gold Country gymnastics at the state meet, competed in Level 10 with a broken rib, scoring an 8.850 on the floor exercise, an 8.725 on the beam, a 7.850 on the uneven bars and closed with an all-around score of 32.925.
On the boys side, Gold Country Gymnastics had four competing at the 2013 Northern California Boys Gymnastics Association state championships.
In Level 9, Nathan Hunt scored a total of 61.5 in the prelims and in the finals closed with a 32.1 all-around for a combined score of 93.6. Aiden Arthur scored a 63.7 in the prelims and 28.9 in the finals for a combined total of 92.6.
In Level 8, Joshua Cooley tallied a 9.35 on the pommel horse, an 8.0 on the rings, a 9.0 on the vault, a 10.9 on the parallel bars and finished with an AA 57.7.
In Level 7, Rhett Miller scored a 9.75 on the floor exercise, an 8.2 on the pommel horse, a 9.55 on the rings, a 12.05 on the vault, a 10.3 on the parallel bars, a 7.85 on the high bar and finished with an AA 57.7.
At the regional competition in Reno; Arthur, Hunt and Miller showcased their talents in the Region 1 Championships.
In Level 9, Arthur scored a 64.8 for his optional score and 28.35 in the technical portion. Hunt finished with an all-around 62.7 optional, and a 32.5 technical score.
In Level 7, Miller notched a 9.35 on the floor, a 7.85 on the pommel horse, a 7.95 on the rings, a 12.55 on the vault, an 8.85 on the parallel bars, a 9.0 on the high bar, and finished with an all-around 55.550.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP WRESTLING: Bear River’s Danieli, Carpenter set for Masters
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP WRESTLING: Q&A with NU’s Cole Johnson
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana