Local football player returns from cross country football journey
August 7, 2014
Nevada Union junior Drew Daniels recently completed a cross country trip that took him to Ohio and Maryland in an effort to bolster his football acumen.
Daniels, who was called up to varsity to play wide receiver last season, spent time at the FBU Top Gun camp in Ohio working on his skills as a pass catcher. Also with Daniels was fellow NU junior and quarterback Justus Spillner. Both players received high praise for their efforts at the camp, said Duane Daniels, Drew's father.
After the Top Gun camp concluded, Drew Daniels then traveled to Baltimore where he played defensive back as a member of the USA White Team.
Drew Daniels said he had a very productive time during his travels and feels he is a better player from the experience.
As a sophomore Drew Daniels caught 11 passes for 116 yards and one touchdown in six games. Spillner threw for 554 yards and three touchdowns for the varsity squad in his sophomore campaign. Both players said they expect those numbers to go up as they strive to help the Miners notch wins this season.
The Nevada Union football regular season starts Aug. 29.
Trending In: Sports
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say