Little League: Penn Valley Cubs open season with win over Nevada City Red Sox
March 21, 2013
Little League in Nevada County opened play Monday with the Penn Valley Cubs taking on the Nevada City Red Sox in majors action.
While the Red Sox put up a good fight, the speed and accuracy of the Cubs spurred them to a 6-1 victory.
Throwing a gem for the Cubs was Israel Gonzales, going four strong innings on the mound and allowing just one run. Marcus Baccetti finished the game for the Cubs, throwing two scoreless innings.
From the plate, the Cubs were led by Colton Bock who went 1-for-2 with a triple, two RBIs and a pair of runs scored.
Lincoln Villnow went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI for the Cubs, Gonzales was 1-for-1 with a sacrafice bunt and a run scored, and Kyle Frei was 1-for-2 with a double.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws