Little League: Penn Valley Cubs open season with win over Nevada City Red Sox
March 21, 2013
Little League in Nevada County opened play Monday with the Penn Valley Cubs taking on the Nevada City Red Sox in majors action.
While the Red Sox put up a good fight, the speed and accuracy of the Cubs spurred them to a 6-1 victory.
Throwing a gem for the Cubs was Israel Gonzales, going four strong innings on the mound and allowing just one run. Marcus Baccetti finished the game for the Cubs, throwing two scoreless innings.
From the plate, the Cubs were led by Colton Bock who went 1-for-2 with a triple, two RBIs and a pair of runs scored.
Lincoln Villnow went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI for the Cubs, Gonzales was 1-for-1 with a sacrafice bunt and a run scored, and Kyle Frei was 1-for-2 with a double.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local