Little League: Penn Valley Cubs open season with win over Nevada City Red Sox
March 21, 2013
Little League in Nevada County opened play Monday with the Penn Valley Cubs taking on the Nevada City Red Sox in majors action.
While the Red Sox put up a good fight, the speed and accuracy of the Cubs spurred them to a 6-1 victory.
Throwing a gem for the Cubs was Israel Gonzales, going four strong innings on the mound and allowing just one run. Marcus Baccetti finished the game for the Cubs, throwing two scoreless innings.
From the plate, the Cubs were led by Colton Bock who went 1-for-2 with a triple, two RBIs and a pair of runs scored.
Lincoln Villnow went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI for the Cubs, Gonzales was 1-for-1 with a sacrafice bunt and a run scored, and Kyle Frei was 1-for-2 with a double.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River set to clash with Colfax
- YOUTH BASKETBALL: Mount St. Mary’s earns Nevada County Small Schools tourney title
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union hits the road to grapple with Granite Bay
- Moule Paint and Glass’ Player of the Week: Tyler Nielson
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Bear River tops Colfax in Pioneer Valley League bout