Little League: Grass Valley Giants get big win over Penn Valley Giants
May 7, 2013
A pair of Giants squared off Saturday at Condon Park as the Penn Valley Junior Division Giants came to battle the Grass Valley Giants in Little League action.
Grass Valley's offense would be the difference as it accounted for 17 runs to Penn Valley's seven.
The early innings provided a pitchers duel between Owen Day and Gary Menary.
Day, pitching for Penn Valley, threw two innings and gave up two hits and one run.
Menary was just as good, going 2 1/3 innings allowing just one run on one hit.
Then Grass Valley turned up the heat, scoring three in the third, and blew it open with 11 in the fourth. Down 15-1, Penn Valley showed heart and scored six runs on four hits, one each by Blake Yokom, Ben Gematti, Edwin Dardon and Sean Stoll.
Grass Valley ended the evening early by scoring two more in the bottom of the fifth, when Kevin Uchida started things with a single, and later scored. Andrew Link ended it with a clean single to left, scoring Ben Powell.
Other contributors for Grass Valley were Adam Dennis, who walked four times, Powell, who scored four times, Link, who was 4-for-5, Donald Cameron, who was hit by a pitch three times and added a single for his evening of work, and Richy Comendant, who added a run-scoring single.
Bear River A's 3,
Bear River Yankees 2
On Monday night at Bear River, the A's came from behind in the bottom of the fifth inning to score two runs and beat the Yankees 3-2.
Damian Christen started a two-out, two-run rally with a walk. After stealing second, Christen scored when Jacob Rivett singled. Rivett scored the go-ahead run to give the A's their fifth straight win.
Rivett was stellar behind the plate, catching Reid Zolldan's strong four innings with eight strikeouts. John Pallinger came in for two solid innings, adding two strikeouts. Caleb Edwards came in for the crucial top of the sixth, fanning all three batters he faced. The A's remain one-game back of the league leading Brewers.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union volleyball great Ali Daley McColloch ready for new challenge
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local