Little League: Grass Valley All-Stars eliminate Auburn, advance through tourney
July 2, 2014
The Grass Valley Junior Division All-Stars continue to make their way through the Little League District 11 tournament, beating Auburn, 7-1, Wednesday.
"We played one of the best games that I have ever seen a GVLL team play," Grass Valley head coach Scott Wheeler said in an email. "We got contribution from the entire lineup and (Kyle) Felhaber threw a great, complete game."
Felhaber impressed from the slab, pitching all seven innings and striking out six while walking one and allowing one unearned run.
Trailing 1-0 after the first inning, Grass Valley's bats came alive scoring two in the second inning and another five in the fourth, which was keyed by a clutch hit from Jacob Craft.
“We played one of the best games that I have ever seen a GVLL team play,”
Head coach Grass Valley All-Stars
"The turning point was when Jacob Craft came up with two runners on and the score 2-1," Wheeler said. "He singled, scoring two runs."
Craft finished the day 1-for-2, including that critical fourth-inning hit. Ty Trathen added a double and two RBIs, Luke Cornish tallied two hits including a double, Jace Wheeler walked three times and scored twice and Tyler Nielson had a strong day with two hits, a double and an RBI.
"We pitched well, played good defense and hit," said Wheeler. "We had great outfield play from Craft, (Kyle) Cuniberti and (Cody) Jiannino."
With the win, Grass Valley (3-1) will play at 5 p.m. today against the winner of the Penn Valley vs. Bear River elimination game.
All District 11 Junior All-Stars games are played in Rocklin. For more on the tourney and a full bracket visit http://district11llb.com.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier