Lady Rattlers earn county tourney title
October 12, 2013
The eighth-grade Magnolia Lady Rattlers won the Nevada County Girls Basketball Tournament Championship in a hard-fought, tightly contested game, 34-32, over Lyman Gilmore.
The Rattlers were led by Kaitlyn Meylor’s 11 points and all-around competitive hustle. Karinne McDonald scored nine points and battled hard on the boards and in the paint. Annie Kollehner hit a key 3-pointer, and Bella Batula knocked down four clutch points in the fourth quarter.
Mallory Rath was strong on the boards again and tossed in six points. McDonald and Kayla Toft hit clutch free throws to close out the game.
Toft was also instrumental down the stretch stepping up her defensive intensity to seal the game.
The Rattlers finished the season with a record of 13-1.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows