Lady Miners win on senior night
October 28, 2013
The Nevada Union girls water polo team had every field player that suited up score Monday night as the Lady Miners trounced Whitney, 16-3, on senior night.
On their celebratory night, it was NU's seniors who led the way. Maddie Hedenland had her best game of the season with three goals, senior captain Nicole Blaney netted two goals, and Ellie DeMartini added another goal for the seniors.
The Lady Miners also got goals from Jessica Murphy (four), Kei Castleberry and Shawna Latter.
Nevada Union has a critical match at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday against Del Oro to decide the final playoff spot.
Boys water polo
Nevada Union 20, Whitney 8
Recommended Stories For You
The Miners put up big numbers on senior night as they cruised past Whitney in a non-league matchup Monday.
Senior Parker Rhodes led the Miners with five goals, Chase Milhous netted four, Earl English, Ryan Filek and Cole Castleberry each tallied two, and Grant Clove, Reed Bertran, Alex Fitanides, Ethan Good and Kenny Gilfillan all scored once.
Clove, NU's goalie, made eight saves in the win.
The Miners have one last match Wednesday against Del Oro before the season concludes.
JV: Nevada Union 6,
The Miners needed overtime to do it, but in the end, it was NU swimming away with the one-goal win.
Andrew Pardini led NU with three goals, and Miles Yamauchi, Emerson Helmuth and David Clove added goals.
NU goalie Tanner Richnak tallied five saves and three steals in the win.
Forest Lake Christian 5,
Faith Christian 2
The Falcons continue to soar, winning their eighth straight contest Monday, beating Faith Christian 5-2 in a non-league matchup.
Senior captain Hunter Semen led FLC with a hat trick, giving him 16 goals this season, which is second on the team to Logan Ray's 18. Owen Swinney tallied his second goal of the season Monday, and Roman Makovey also netted one and assisted on another.
The defense was impressive with Daniel Cuneo stealing 15 balls, Jason Foster ripping 10 and Sean Kadera lifting seven.
The Falcons (14-4-1, 7-0 CVCL) close the regular season Wednesday against Cristo Rey and open playoffs the following week.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans