Lady Miners win on senior night
October 28, 2013
The Nevada Union girls water polo team had every field player that suited up score Monday night as the Lady Miners trounced Whitney, 16-3, on senior night.
On their celebratory night, it was NU’s seniors who led the way. Maddie Hedenland had her best game of the season with three goals, senior captain Nicole Blaney netted two goals, and Ellie DeMartini added another goal for the seniors.
The Lady Miners also got goals from Jessica Murphy (four), Kei Castleberry and Shawna Latter.
Nevada Union has a critical match at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday against Del Oro to decide the final playoff spot.
Boys water polo
Nevada Union 20, Whitney 8
The Miners put up big numbers on senior night as they cruised past Whitney in a non-league matchup Monday.
Senior Parker Rhodes led the Miners with five goals, Chase Milhous netted four, Earl English, Ryan Filek and Cole Castleberry each tallied two, and Grant Clove, Reed Bertran, Alex Fitanides, Ethan Good and Kenny Gilfillan all scored once.
Clove, NU’s goalie, made eight saves in the win.
The Miners have one last match Wednesday against Del Oro before the season concludes.
JV: Nevada Union 6,
The Miners needed overtime to do it, but in the end, it was NU swimming away with the one-goal win.
Andrew Pardini led NU with three goals, and Miles Yamauchi, Emerson Helmuth and David Clove added goals.
NU goalie Tanner Richnak tallied five saves and three steals in the win.
Forest Lake Christian 5,
Faith Christian 2
The Falcons continue to soar, winning their eighth straight contest Monday, beating Faith Christian 5-2 in a non-league matchup.
Senior captain Hunter Semen led FLC with a hat trick, giving him 16 goals this season, which is second on the team to Logan Ray’s 18. Owen Swinney tallied his second goal of the season Monday, and Roman Makovey also netted one and assisted on another.
The defense was impressive with Daniel Cuneo stealing 15 balls, Jason Foster ripping 10 and Sean Kadera lifting seven.
The Falcons (14-4-1, 7-0 CVCL) close the regular season Wednesday against Cristo Rey and open playoffs the following week.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location