Lady Miners rally past Rocklin
February 2, 2013
The Nevada Union girls basketball team fell behind Rocklin by 15-points mid way through the second quarter Thursday night, but battled back to grab their sixth Sierra Foothill League win of the season.
The Lady Miners rallied to tie the game at 42 to start the fourth, then outscored Rocklin 21-16 to take the game and maintain their spot at the top of the SFL.
NU was led by sophomore Sammy DeHart with 21 points, nine rebounds and three blocks. Sydney Porter scored eight points in the fourth quarter, including a pair of 3-pointers and finished with 15. Senior Nicole Lierly added 12, Melanie O'Brien scored seven and grabbed seven rebounds and Sarina Orellana played stellar defense.
Nevada Union (18-4, 6-1 SFL) will continue to march toward a league title at 7 p.m. Tuesday when they travel to take on Granite Bay.
JV: Nevada Union 52, Rocklin 30
The Lady Miners got a big game from freshman standout Ella Walton as they thumped Rocklin by 22 Thursday night.
Recommended Stories For You
Walton scored 11 points and nabbed two steals and Grace Paye also had 11 points and pulled down a team-high seven rebounds to lead NU.
The Lady Miners got strong bench contributions from freshman Madison Lee with six points and five rebounds, Jen Becker with five points and Mikaela Hawkins with five points.
Nevada Union (12-9, 4-3 SFL) hit the court again Tuesday when they face Granite Bay.
Freshmen: Nevada Union 35, Rocklin 30
The Lady Miners made it three wins in a row Thursday, beating Rocklin by five.
Leading the way for NU was Chelsea Rodriguez with 12 points and four steals, Sofia VanValkenberg added 10 points to go with eight rebounds and Rachaiel McKnight was the defensive standout with seven steals.
NU (11-9, 5-2 SFL) next plays Tuesday against Rocklin.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon brings community together, raises funds to fight breast cancer
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)