Lady Miners JV squad earns 1st SFL win with rout of rival Rocklin
January 23, 2013
The Nevada Union junior varsity girls basketball team earned its first Sierra Foothill League win of the season Wednesday night at Albert Ali Gymnasium, blowing out the Rocklin Thunder, 59-23.
The Lady Miners stretched a three-point first quarter lead to 14 by halftime and continued to pour it on, outscoring Rocklin 33-11 in the second half.
Leading the Lady Miners was Sarah Lundmark with 15 points, five steals and three assists. Freshman standout Ella Walton added 11 points, four rebounds and three steals for NU, and Callie Kraus scored 10 points and burgled five possessions away from Rocklin.
NU (9-7, 1-1 SFL) will look to make it two in a row Friday when it hosts Granite Bay.
Freshmen: Rocklin 44,
Nevada Union 40
Despite trailing for much of the game, the Lady Miners made a push at victory late in the game but fell by four to the Thunder.
Chelsea Rodriguez was the high-scorer for NU with 16 points. Rodriguez also had four rebounds, five assists and four steals. Rachaiel McKnight added eight points and grabbed three steals. The Lady Miner post players had strong games with Audrey Jacus grabbing 10 rebounds to go with seven points, and Melissa Wilcoxen eight rebounds.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union volleyball great Ali Daley McColloch ready for new challenge
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- Woman kidnapped from Alta Sierra home, Nevada County authorities say
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Nevada County authorities say bones found near Lake Spaulding belong to Ruendi Ibarra, 26, of Stockton