Lady Miners JV squad earns 1st SFL win with rout of rival Rocklin
January 23, 2013
The Nevada Union junior varsity girls basketball team earned its first Sierra Foothill League win of the season Wednesday night at Albert Ali Gymnasium, blowing out the Rocklin Thunder, 59-23.
The Lady Miners stretched a three-point first quarter lead to 14 by halftime and continued to pour it on, outscoring Rocklin 33-11 in the second half.
Leading the Lady Miners was Sarah Lundmark with 15 points, five steals and three assists. Freshman standout Ella Walton added 11 points, four rebounds and three steals for NU, and Callie Kraus scored 10 points and burgled five possessions away from Rocklin.
NU (9-7, 1-1 SFL) will look to make it two in a row Friday when it hosts Granite Bay.
Freshmen: Rocklin 44,
Nevada Union 40
Despite trailing for much of the game, the Lady Miners made a push at victory late in the game but fell by four to the Thunder.
Chelsea Rodriguez was the high-scorer for NU with 16 points. Rodriguez also had four rebounds, five assists and four steals. Rachaiel McKnight added eight points and grabbed three steals. The Lady Miner post players had strong games with Audrey Jacus grabbing 10 rebounds to go with seven points, and Melissa Wilcoxen eight rebounds.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball