Lady Miners JV squad earns 1st SFL win with rout of rival Rocklin
January 23, 2013
The Nevada Union junior varsity girls basketball team earned its first Sierra Foothill League win of the season Wednesday night at Albert Ali Gymnasium, blowing out the Rocklin Thunder, 59-23.
The Lady Miners stretched a three-point first quarter lead to 14 by halftime and continued to pour it on, outscoring Rocklin 33-11 in the second half.
Leading the Lady Miners was Sarah Lundmark with 15 points, five steals and three assists. Freshman standout Ella Walton added 11 points, four rebounds and three steals for NU, and Callie Kraus scored 10 points and burgled five possessions away from Rocklin.
NU (9-7, 1-1 SFL) will look to make it two in a row Friday when it hosts Granite Bay.
Freshmen: Rocklin 44,
Nevada Union 40
Despite trailing for much of the game, the Lady Miners made a push at victory late in the game but fell by four to the Thunder.
Chelsea Rodriguez was the high-scorer for NU with 16 points. Rodriguez also had four rebounds, five assists and four steals. Rachaiel McKnight added eight points and grabbed three steals. The Lady Miner post players had strong games with Audrey Jacus grabbing 10 rebounds to go with seven points, and Melissa Wilcoxen eight rebounds.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location