Lady Miners beat Oak Ridge
January 19, 2014
The Nevada Union girls basketball squad let an 11 point lead slip away Saturday at Oak Ridge but fought back late in the fourth quarter to pull out a well-deserved 60-50 victory.
NU was led by senior Sydney Porter, who scored a team-high 24 points to go with four steals. Senior Emma Petersen followed with 16 points to go with four steals and three boards. Sammy DeHart and Melanie O'Brien each contributed nine points and combined for 20 rebounds between them, grabbing 12 and eight, respectively. Erin Selleck also ignited the offense with a team-high eight assists and five steals.
Oak Ridge climbed back into the game and even pulled ahead with about five minutes to play, but NU rose up to the challenge and added clutch free-throws down the stretch to seal it.
The Lady Miners (14-4, 3-0 Sierra Foothill League) host the Del Oro Golden Eagles on Wednesday in a battle for SFL supremacy with the winner claiming the outright division lead.
Trending In: Sports
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed