Jr. Miners put up points in shutout victory at Del Campo
August 28, 2013
It was a high-scoring series of games Saturday as the Nevada Union Jr. Miners traveled to Del Campo to take on the Jr. Cougars in youth football action.
The boys from Nevada Union took three of the five divisions with the Mighty Mites, Jr. Pee Wees and Midgets all grabbing big wins.
In the Mighty Might division, the Jr. Miners handed Del Campo a 20-0 shellacking, utilizing a dominant defensive effort led by Anthony Paradiso.
On the offensive end, Ethan Billiock gobbled up yards on the ground and punched in a touchdown.
Jr. Pee Wee: NU 32, Del Campo 0
The Jr. Miners dominated on the ground with two rushers breaking the century mark as their defense blanked the Jr. Cougars.
Isaiah Walker tallied 116 yards rushing and was joined in 100-yard club by teammate Jaxon Horne who rushed for 115 yards.
On the defensive end, Vinnie Duncan had a nose for the ball with a sack and an interception. Aaron Meyer played great defense and wrapped up six tackles, and Drew Wasley fell on a fumble for the Jr. Miners.
Midgets: NU 32, Del Campo 14
The Midgets moved to 2-0 this season with a romp of Del Campo, showing their offensive and defensive prowess in the process.
Justin Houlihan starred on both sides of the ball, rushing for 52 yards and a touchdown, and on defense wrapped up six tackles and forced a fumble.
Owen Day added a fumble recovery that he scooped up and ran back for a 61-yard touchdown. Drew Heaps shined in special teams with an on-side kick recovery.
Leading the offense was the dynamic running back duo of Dawson Fay and Tyler Nielsen. Both running backs tallied 80 yards and a touchdown in the win.
Through the air, Hayden Fay made a pair of receptions for a total of 40 yards.
Pee Wees: Del Campo 13, NU 6, OT
The Pee Wee Jr. Miners lost a tough one in overtime, falling by seven to the Jr. Cougars.
The defense was strong all game for NU with Zach Fink forcing a fumble, recovering a fumble and notching several tackles.
Seth Fisher added a sack on defense as well as a forced fumble and added a strong rushing effort on offense.
Dillon Roberts added 35 yards on the ground to go with a score.
And quarterback Bailey Brook completed three passes for 26 yards.
The Jr. Midget squad for the Miners lost 36-0, and no stats were submitted from the game.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)