Jr. Miner Midgets open with road win over Granite Bay
August 19, 2013
The Nevada Union Midget Division Jr. Miners got their 2013 campaign off to a strong start Saturday, taking down the Granite Bay Jr. Grizzlies, 22-12, in Granite Bay.
The Jr. Miners (1-0) got ahead early, scoring 16 first-quarter points, then held off a second-half Jr. Grizzly comeback to win by 10.
Granite Bay had brought the score to within four at 16-12 in the third, but a fourth-quarter touchdown by the Jr. Miners put the game away.
Dawson Fay led the way on the ground with a pair of touchdowns on 11 carries. Tyler Nielson and Justin Houlihan also helped with the ground game.
Through the air, Owen Dal Bon completed two passes on four attempts for 50 yards. Owen Day and Fay were on the receiving end of Dal Bon’s passes.
Coming up big on defense were Garrett Graves and Tallon Joyce, each plucking an interception out of the air in the win.
For the Jr. Miners, Day was a tackling machine, leading the team with seven, Ben Stumpf wrapped up six, Fay nabbed three tackles, Drew Heaps had three, Justin Houlihan had two, and Cole Anderson, Jace Wheeler, Hayden Fay, Cody Jiannino, Will Smith and Jack Fraser all had one tackle.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Bear River bests Lincoln on Senior Night
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Nora Pizzella shines as member of Chico State XC team
- PREP FOOTBALL: Granite Bay knocks off Nevada Union, 34-21
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax beats rival Bear River, 31-14
- OBITUARY: John “Jack” Robert Hughes leaves unifying legacy