Jr. Miner Midgets open with road win over Granite Bay
August 19, 2013
The Nevada Union Midget Division Jr. Miners got their 2013 campaign off to a strong start Saturday, taking down the Granite Bay Jr. Grizzlies, 22-12, in Granite Bay.
The Jr. Miners (1-0) got ahead early, scoring 16 first-quarter points, then held off a second-half Jr. Grizzly comeback to win by 10.
Granite Bay had brought the score to within four at 16-12 in the third, but a fourth-quarter touchdown by the Jr. Miners put the game away.
Dawson Fay led the way on the ground with a pair of touchdowns on 11 carries. Tyler Nielson and Justin Houlihan also helped with the ground game.
Through the air, Owen Dal Bon completed two passes on four attempts for 50 yards. Owen Day and Fay were on the receiving end of Dal Bon's passes.
Coming up big on defense were Garrett Graves and Tallon Joyce, each plucking an interception out of the air in the win.
For the Jr. Miners, Day was a tackling machine, leading the team with seven, Ben Stumpf wrapped up six, Fay nabbed three tackles, Drew Heaps had three, Justin Houlihan had two, and Cole Anderson, Jace Wheeler, Hayden Fay, Cody Jiannino, Will Smith and Jack Fraser all had one tackle.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair