Jeff Dellis hired as Nevada Union athletic director
April 29, 2014
Nevada Union High School Principal Mike Blake confirmed Monday that Jeff Dellis will be the school’s athletic director beginning July 1.
“Jeff Dellis is the new athletic director and will be working with Steve (Pilcher) and Debbie Short during the transition,” Blake said. “Jeff is well known by our coaching staff and overall staff. He’s taken steps in terms of bringing coaches together to change the culture; he has their support and he has great ideas when it comes to fundraising.”
Dellis has been an educator at NU for the past 18 years and is the boys’ varsity basketball coach. He will remain the boys’ basketball coach and continue to teach social studies in addition to his athletic director duties.
“Steve has left some incredibly big shoes to fill,” Dellis said of his predecessor. “For me, I’ve coached for a long time, primarily basketball, and I think if you’re competitive and have been doing something for a long time, you start to look for advancement. It’s an awesome opportunity and I feel like I have something to offer.”
Dellis’ said he is thankful for the job that Pilcher has done over the years and that he hopes he can build upon it.
“Steve was able to shepherd in an era of success, and in the last several years has navigated us, financially, through some difficult waters.” Dellis said. “Steve, like you want to do when you go camping, left it better than he found it.”
Dellis said he plans to maintain and recruit quality coaches that embody what Nevada Union sports is about.
Blake said there were several quality candidates, but Dellis stood out among the others.
“It was tough decision, but with the situation as it is, we felt his familiarity with the community and our teams allowed him to hit the ground running,” Blake said. “Obviously there will be a learning curve when it comes to CIF regulations and stuff like that, but we are confident Jeff will do a great job.”
Dellis will replace Pilcher, who has been the Miners’ athletic director for the past 13 years.
“Losing Steve is a great loss for us, just his experience and knowledge alone,” Blake said. “I really appreciate Steve. He’s the longest running AD at NU that I can remember and he has done some great things and oversaw a lot of change.”
Pilcher submitted his resignation in March, citing a want to return to the classroom.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows