Hundreds compete in memorial basketball tourney
March 18, 2014
March madness reared its head in Nevada County over the weekend as more than 160 ballers making up 44 teams and spanning five age divisions competed in the eighth annual Shoot for Christian Memorial 3-on-3 basketball tournament at Nevada Union.
The daylong event took place Saturday at Albert Ali Gymnasium and raised about $3,500 for the Nevada Union High School basketball program as well as other youth basketball programs in the area.
Teams were guaranteed three games in pool play and if they fared well enough in pool play they moved on to a single elimination format.
Winning Division A (third and fourth graders) was the Fighting Irish comprised of Owen McDaniel and Evan McDaniel. The Untouchables, made up of Yagub Mir, Jahnheaven Patton, Callier Conlan and Gabe Thompson placed second in Division A.
It was the Spartans that took Division B (fifth and sixth graders). The Spartans were made up by Eli Junes, William Weiss-Prezler, Mathew Dal Bon and Riley Cotton. The Raptors (Aden Schnider, Beck, Ari and London) placed second.
In the very competitive Division C, the Blue Devils were the victors, as Owen Dal Bon, Bean Bishop, Vic Edwards and Jack Fraser took home the trophy. Placing second was the Lucky Charms (Cole Loper, Justin Gardner, Justin Powell and Martin Robinson).
In Division D (High school- non-varsity), team "Winner takes all," made up of Chance Brown, Gary Menary, Cody Voss and Kross Corbett, took it all. Da Splashes (Chase Loper, Logan Loper, Christian Straub and Jordan Hodgekins) were runner-ups.
In the largest field of the day, featuring 16 teams, the team from Fit Culture won the Open Division (Adult/varsity). Fit Culture was comprised of Joey Bratton, Guy Greever and Ty Smith. Team SPD (Will Ward, Devin Grebe, Brad Wassberg, Brett George and Brock Painter) took second.
Tournament organizer Jason Craig said he would like to thank all of the volunteers that made the event happen, including the NUHS boosters, Jeff Dellis and volunteer referees Carl Kinney, Lee Stafford, Charlie Margherita, Dennis Houlihan, Brandon Loper and Kathy Mathieson.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations