Higareda, Wright take top spots at Bear River 5K
August 13, 2014
A couple of seasoned runners led the way at the Bear River 5K as 40-year-olds Sergio Higareda and Larry DeFeyter took the top two spots in the mens race.
Higareda was the first to cross the finish line with a time of 18 minutes, 51 seconds, beating out DeFeyter who came in at 19:30. Rob Taylor came in third overall (19:51) and won the 50-59 age group (AG).
The overall winner in the womens 5K was Carly Wright, 32, with a time of 20:33, beating out the next closest finisher, Makie Ohler (21:28). Ohler did win the 50-59 AG.
Other age group winners in the womens 5K were Sheriane Greene (23:28) in the 11-14 AG, Caitlin Oats (26:29) in the 19-29 AG, Phyllis Livingston (28:04) in the 40-49 AG, Lynne Hurrell (30:39) in the 70-99 AG, Sally Shilling (31:36) in the 15-18 AG, Terrie Horlick (34:50) in the 60-69 AG, and Laila Reintjes (41:18) in the 10 and under AG.
On the mens side, Devon Cloud (20:44) continued his domination in the 15-18 AG, winning his AG and taking fifth overall in the mens race. Brad Abbott (21:30) won the 19-29 AG, Brannon Forrester (21:31) took the 30-39 AG, Joshua Fairchild (21:43) placed first in the 11-14 AG, Ron Gross (25:49) was the first to cross the finish line in the 70-99 AG, John Darlington (30:15) took home the top spot in the 60-69 AG, and Chase Wright (35:32) won the 10 and under AG.
All times and AG places are according to http://www.nccn.net/~strc/bearriver5k14.pdf.
More than 100 runners competed in the Bear River 5K in early August. The race raises funds for the South Nevada County Chamber's Scholarship fund for Bear River High School and Forest Lake Christian.
The Bear River 5K was the sixth stop in the Gold Country Grand Prix's 11-race series.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier