GV Miners cruise past Colusa
June 19, 2013
The Grass Valley Miners are due for a day off, but the way they are playing, they may not want to take one.
The American Legion Junior team based out of Grass Valley concluded an eight-games-in-nine-days stretch Wednesday with a 9-5 victory over the Colusa Channel Cats.
With the win against Colusa, the Miners are 6-2 during the eight-game stretch with seven of those contests being played on the road.
Grass Valley Miners' coach Jim Souza said his team continues to show the work ethic and determination it takes to succeed when playing so many days in a row. He also noted that his team has the depth to weather a schedule like this.
In Wednesday's matchup, the Miners and the Channel Cats battled back and forth through the first four innings exchanging the lead throughout. It wasn't until Grass Valley plated three in the fifth and two more in the sixth that the game was decided.
Jordan Jianinno got the start for Grass Valley, going three innings, allowing five runs and striking out two.
Chris Sardo came in for relief in the fourth and completely shut down Colusa, not allowing a run and striking out six on the way to earning the win.
"He's a hard-throwing left-hander with a filthy curveball that just drops off the table," Souza said. "He also throws hard and has a nice slider."
On the offensive end, leadoff man Jakob Freele went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles, two RBIs and three stolen bases. Catcher Nolen Fillman added a 2-for-2 day and was impressive defensively, said Souza.
Joey Souza chipped in an RBI knock, Dylan Conger had an RBI hit, Christian Straub added an RBI single and Zach Garrity also had an RBI single.
Dalton Maxwell, Brady Porter and Noah Arriaga contributed sacrifices that resulted in RBIs in the win.
The Miners (9-2) have today and Friday off before a four-games-in-two-days stretch in Susanville starting Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)