Grass Valley Magic ends summer tour in SD
July 23, 2013
The Grass Valley Magic AAU girls basketball team concluded a successful summer tour with tough wins against top teams in San Diego.
The Magic, comprised mostly of Nevada Union girls basketball varsity players, had been to tournaments in Oregon and Novato before closing the summer in San Diego against some of the best teams the West Coast has to offer, Magic head coach Rich Simpton said.
At the San Diego tourney, the Magic competed in the highest division alongside teams from New Mexico, Nevada, California, Washington and Oregon.
The Magic took second place in their pool of eight, beating a team from New Mexico in the pool semifinals before falling to Clovis West by four points in the pool finals.
Despite the loss, the Magic advanced to the final eight out of 24 teams in the top division.
The Magic fell to St. Mary's Academy of Oregon in the first post-pool play round but rebounded to beat Oak Ridge in the next round.
"It's always big for us to beat a good team from our area that has become sort of a rival," Simpton said.
Sydney Porter, Erin Selleck, Sammy DeHart, Melanie O'Brien, Katie Johnson, Grace Paye, Jen Becker and Callie Kraus along with Aycee Dykes-Willis and Ashtyn Dykes-Willis all got experience and the chance to show off their skills in front of college scouts from Humboldt State, Chico State, San Marcos State, Concordia University and others at the tourney, said Simpton.
Porter, a two-year varsity starter as she heads into her senior year, averaged more than 16 points in the Oregon tourneys.
And DeHart, a varsity starter as a sophomore, averaged 19 points and eight rebounds during the Oregon tournaments, Simpton said.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- Nevada County race team competes in The Great Race
- As a player, coach and administrator Calkins left a lasting impression
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- 2 men accused of having exploding devices in western Nevada County
- Nevada, Placer county rivers claim 2 lives over the weekend
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation