Grass Valley drops see-saw battle with Lincoln
July 8, 2014
The Grass Valley All-Stars (Junior Division) had their run at a District 11 championship come to a close Saturday, falling, 17-15 after a see-saw battle with Lincoln in the tournament semifinals.
With a berth to the District 11 championship round against host Tri-City on the line, Grass Valley took an early 2-1 lead after two innings. Lincoln responded with a run in the third and three more in the fourth to take a 5-2 lead.
Grass Valley rallied with a run in the fourth and fifth innings and six more in the bottom of the sixth to grab a 10-6 lead heading into the seventh and final inning.
Lincoln exploded for 11 runs in the top of the seventh to grab a commanding 17-10 edge.
With just three outs left, Grass Valley refused to quit, plating five runs to put a scare into Lincoln. But that would be it, and Grass Valley was eliminated.
Leading Grass Valley at the plate was Luke Cornish with a 3-for-3 day, including a double, two walks, four runs scored and an RBI. Tyler Nielson added a double and two runs scored, Cole Anderson had a double and scored three times, and Ty Trathen tallied one hit and came home to score three times, including a crafty effort on a play at the plate where he avoided the tag by leaping over the catcher's outstretched glove.
Also adding hits for Grass Valley were Kyle Felhaber, Sam Hopper and Jace Wheeler. Wheeler also drew three walks in the game, giving him 16 walks throughout the tournament.
The game against Lincoln (3-1) was Grass Valley's sixth in nine days. Grass Valley finishes the tourney 4-2 overall, having beaten All-Stars teams from Bear River (twice), Nevada City and Auburn. Grass Valley lost to Lincoln and Tri-City — the two teams playing for the championship today.
Lincoln beat Sierra Foothill Saturday to complete the two-game sweep and win the District 11 Major Division All-Star Championship.
Sierra Foothill had reached the District 11 championship after winning the District 11 (Area 2) title with four straight wins over Penn Valley, Grass Valley, Nevada City and Foresthill.
Nevada City buzzed through the District 11 (Area 2) All-Stars tournament, beating Foresthill, Sierra Foothill and Grass Valley, all by at least 10 runs.
Nevada City will now face the winner of the Bear River vs. Lincoln (District 11 Area 1 championship) game in the District 11 title game.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- PREP WRESTLING: 2 Bruins claim DIV championships
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Cascade Shores evacuation lifted, roads reopened
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers