Gold Country Senior Softball All-Stars battle it out at Western Gateway Park
July 9, 2014
When Rick Gross smashed a three-run home run in the bottom the first inning during the Gold Country Senior Softball Association's 65-and-older All-Star game, the East All-Stars grabbed all the momentum and let it carry them to victory.
The East team would plate nine runs in the first two innings as they cruised to a 16-7 victory over the West All-Stars at Western Gateway Park. The All-Stars on the East squad were led by manager Clyde Crider. Leading the West was Fred Martin.
In the 64-and-younger All-Star game, played immediately after the 65-and-older game, it was the North All-Stars grabbing the bragging rights over the South All-Stars with a late charge to win, 13-12. The North was led by manager Don Heyfron. Leading the South was team manager and league president Dan House.
The All-Star games were well attended and got started when Jack Cramer led off with a spirited rendition of the National Anthem.
The Gold Country Senior Softball Association is a 50-and-over league that features two division; a weekday league and a weekend league. For season schedules, league stats and more information on the GCSSA, visit http://www.gcssasoftball.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)