Go for the Gold
June 10, 2014
More than 40 sail boats took to the blue waters of Scotts Flat Lake over the weekend for the 33rd annual Gold Country Regatta, better known as the Go for the Gold Regatta.
Sail boats from Oregon, Nevada and all over Northern California raced in ideal 8-12 mph winds on Saturday but then battled through low-speed, shifting winds on Sunday.
This year the Gold Country Regatta hosted the highly competitive Western Region Laser championships where, at times, six boats would cross the finish line in a matter of seconds.
Winning the Laser competition was the boat Lucky Lena, skippered by Emilio Castelli. Second place went to Greased Lightning, skippered by Richard Leland.
In other regatta races, See Alice, skippered by Dave Neilson, won the Windmill division. In n Out, skippered by Craig Lee, took the Banshee division, winning five out of the seven races. Man Cave, skippered by Stephan Klotz, swept the Lido 14 races. Colonel Mustard II, skippered by Doug Brennan, won the Catalina 22 competition. Drunk n Thorny, skippered by David Rumbaugh, won the Open Centerboard race, edging out Flight Risk, skippered by Steve Lowry. And in the Open Keel division, it was U Decide, skippered by Phil Kanesgsberg, taking the title.
The Gold Country Yacht Club, which hosts the event, entered 22 boats in the competition, including Bandit, skippered by Scott Mack, and Ulti-Foot, skippered by Jeremy Gicker, who finished second and third in the Open Keel division respectively.
Coaches and event organizers may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws