French, Migliozzi outpace field to win SFL titles
May 11, 2013
Nevada Union distance runners David French and Garrett Migliozzi highlighted a rather pedestrian day by the Miners at the Sierra Foothill League track and field finals Thursday in Roseville.
French, a senior competing in the 800-meter race, beat out No. 1 seeded Arturo Sotomayor from Roseville and No. 2 seed Trent Brendel from Granite Bay with a time of 1 minute, 56.66 seconds to claim the SFL title for NU. French shaved more than three seconds off his preliminary time from Wednesday to get the win.
Migliozzi, a junior, notched the other event title for NU with his thrilling win in the 1,600. Migliozzi came from sixth place to pass Granite Bay's Brendel on the final lap to claim the 1,600 for NU with a time of 4:17.10.
By way of their first-place finishes in their respective events, Migliozzi and French will be advancing to the Sac-Joaquin Section Division I meet Wednesday at Elk Grove High School. The top four competitors from each event at the SFL meet advance to the section meet.
Other Miners who will be joining French and Migliozzi at the section meet are freshman Nadia Torkman, who took fourth in the 400 with a time of 59.72 and senior Alyssa Garrett, who will be advancing in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 48.07. Fellow hurdler Melanie O'Brien, a junior, is also headed to the section meet with a fourth-place finish in the 100 hurdles with a time of 16.36.
Sophomore Delaney Smith is moving on in the high jump event after her fourth-place finish with a leap of five feet.
In the throwing events, junior Cori Maves is moving on with a fourth-place finish in the girls shot put, hurling a distance of 32-10.5. Boys thrower, Cameron Townsend advanced to sections in the shot put event with a throw of 44-10.
Despite sending eight athletes on to the section meet, as a team the Miners struggled, placing last at the SFL meet in both the girls and boys varsity levels. The team from Granite Bay took the league title on the boys side, and Del Oro claimed victory on the girls side.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier