Freedom Run 5K highlighted by photo finish
July 8, 2014
The Gold Country Grand Prix got the Fourth of July excitement started long before any fireworks went off Friday as the Freedom Run 5K played host to one of the closest races in the Grand Prix's nine-year history.
Nevada Union graduate and standout distance runner Garrett Migliozzi finished just a fraction of a second ahead of last year's Freedom 5K winner Jack Bordoni, claiming the 2014 title with a time of 16 minutes, 17 seconds.
In 2013, Bordoni won the race, beating Migliozzi by 35 seconds. Bordoni's winning time in 2013 was 18:48. Bordoni had won the Freedom Run 5K in 2011, 2012 and 2013, before coming in second Friday.
Despite running on the same Nevada Union cross country course as last year's race, Migliozzi was able to shave more than 3 minutes off his 2013 time of 19:23.
Migliozzi was a standout on the NU cross country and track teams and earned a scholarship to run at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall.
In the women's race, Makie Ohler, 52, took the top overall spot with a time of 21:51. The win is Ohler's fourth in the women's 50-59 age group (AG) this season.
Other AG winners in the women's race were Karen Henderson (29:58) in the 60-69AG, Ellen Wallace (23:15) in the 40-49 AG, Marley Mueller (24:10) in the 30-39 AG, Faith Collins (32:19) in the 19-29 AG, Erika Wolf (22:06) in the 15-18 AG, Claire Berman (28:00) in the 11-14 AG and Blue Bouck (41:33) in the 10 and under AG.
On the men's side, AG winners were Ron Gross (27:19) in the 70-99 AG, Denis O'Halloran (20:57) in the 60-69 AG, Rob Taylor (20:25) in the 50-59 AG, Sergio Higareda (19:37) in the 40-49 AG, Bjorn Jones (21:42) in the 30-39 AG, Bordoni in the 19-29 AG, Migliozzi in the 15-18 AG, Benjamin Fogiel (19:40) in the 11-14 AG, and Max Wright (25:49) in the 10 and under AG.
With the Freedom Run concluded, five of the Grand Prix's 11 races are in the books with the next race, the Bear River 5K, scheduled for Aug. 2.
Coaches and event organizers may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian boys fall to Sac Adventist; FLC girls gear up for 2nd round mathcup with Valley Christian
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana