FLC grad headed to Simpson University
January 19, 2013
In front of family, friends, administrators and students at his high school alma mater Friday, Robert Bristol, a 2012 Forest Lake Christian graduate, put pen to paper and signed a letter of intent to attend Simpson University in Redding and play baseball for the Red Hawks.
Bristol said he didn't know Simpson University even existed until he attended a Christian college fair with his girlfriend last fall.
"It was a little school that I had never heard about," Bristol said. "They have a great baseball program, and that was definitely something I wanted to get involved with."
While attending FLC, Bristol was a standout pitcher, catcher and infielder. The strong-armed utility player went 7-4 on the mound with a 1.85 ERA in 14 appearances. At the plate, Bristol batted .400 with a .534 on base percentage. He led the Falcons in RBIs with 21 and tied with two others for the lead in home runs with two.
After the 2012 FLC baseball season concluded, Bristol was all set to attend the University of Nevada,Reno, on a partial scholarship, but financial problems caused Bristol to reconsider his options.
"I took it pretty hard," Bristol said. "But God closes one door to open the next, and that's what he did. He took something away from me for something better to come into my life."
Bristol said he will pitch for the Red Hawks and is unsure if he will red shirt the upcoming season or if he will be asked to make an immediate impact.
Bristol said he plans to major in business.
Simpson University has a dual membership in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and the National Christian College Athletic Association and plays in the California Pacific Conference. The Red Hawk baseball team went 19-31 in the 2012 season.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands