Eagles soar to title
August 22, 2014
The Roseville Eagles won the North American Fastpitch Association’s World Series A-Major Championship, beating Stoneyard of Wisconsin, 7-0, in the championship game August 10 at Green Valley Sports Complex in Moline, Ill.
The Eagles finished a perfect 6-0 in the 36-team A-Major Division.
On the Roseville squad is several local players who also compete in the Nevada County Fastpitch League, including Tyler Phillips, Mark Summers, Nick Freitas, Mario Pereira, Kevin Fontana, Jabari Wimbs and Rusty Newnan.
Roseville marched through the tournament undefeated, by beating Sibley of Illinois 7-1, Ostrander Fastpitch from Minnesota, 7-0, Mac’s Fastpitch-Weezers from Kansas, 9-2, Salt Lake City Page Brake from Utah, 14-6, and the Bedford Rays of Pennsylvania 5-4 (11 innings) before defeating Stoneyard.
The Eagles also won the NAFA Western Championships in Carson City, Nev. last month and are managed by Mario Pereira and partially sponsored by Roseville’s Fraternal Order of Eagles #1582 and Addidas.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location