Eagles soar to title
August 22, 2014
The Roseville Eagles won the North American Fastpitch Association's World Series A-Major Championship, beating Stoneyard of Wisconsin, 7-0, in the championship game August 10 at Green Valley Sports Complex in Moline, Ill.
The Eagles finished a perfect 6-0 in the 36-team A-Major Division.
On the Roseville squad is several local players who also compete in the Nevada County Fastpitch League, including Tyler Phillips, Mark Summers, Nick Freitas, Mario Pereira, Kevin Fontana, Jabari Wimbs and Rusty Newnan.
Roseville marched through the tournament undefeated, by beating Sibley of Illinois 7-1, Ostrander Fastpitch from Minnesota, 7-0, Mac's Fastpitch-Weezers from Kansas, 9-2, Salt Lake City Page Brake from Utah, 14-6, and the Bedford Rays of Pennsylvania 5-4 (11 innings) before defeating Stoneyard.
The Eagles also won the NAFA Western Championships in Carson City, Nev. last month and are managed by Mario Pereira and partially sponsored by Roseville's Fraternal Order of Eagles #1582 and Addidas.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball