Dirtbags reach title game, top Gold Country Automotive
August 22, 2013
The Precision Pump Dirtbags joined the Nevada County Fast Pitch League this season, and in their inaugural campaign, they have earned a spot in the title game.
The No. 2 seed Dirtbags won a see-saw battle over Gold Country Automotive, 9-8, in the second semifinal game of the day at Memorial Park.
Carty Sawtelle got the win from the slab, throwing an array of pitches that at times danced past batters. Sawtelle struck out seven, walked one and allowed five earned runs.
The No. 6 seed Gold Country made a push in their final at-bat, trying to put the pressure on the Dirtbags, but fell just short.
Trailing 9-6 in the top of the seventh Gold Country had two outs and Nick Johnson on first. Matt Custer drew a walk, and Justin Nicholson followed with a sky-high pop up that looked like it would end the game, but the Dirtbag second baseman struggled to find position and the ball found grass. Johnson would score on what was ruled a single, Custer advanced to third, and Nicholson moved to second. Billy Hadley followed with an RBI base hit to pull within one, but the next Gold Country batter flew out to end the game.
Leading the way for the Dirtbags was Tyler Chew with a 2-for-4 day, including a double, a triple, two runs scored and two RBIs. Donny Miller added two hits, two walks, a stolen base and an RBI, Scottie Belser was 2-for-4 with an RBI, Zach Littleton ripped a double, Doug Robinson had two hits and some of the hardest hit balls of the night, and Hunter Lloyd, Ryan Midkiff and Brandon Whitlow all added a hit in the win.
The Dirtbags will now look to do what no other team has done this season and topple Event Helper. The title game gets started at 7 p.m. today at Memorial Park.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)