Contest: To the thinner goes the spoils
January 14, 2013
A slightly different spin on the "The Biggest Loser" television competition is kicking off in Nevada County Jan. 21 and is open to anyone looking to drop some unwanted weight.
Joey Bratton, owner of Fit Culture Studio in Nevada City, is running the Thinner Winner competition and is inviting the whole community to participate.
"It will be like the biggest loser in that it is a (weight-loss) contest, and the winning team gets some money," Bratton said. "But nobody gets kicked off or anything crazy. It's all positive. If someone is not doing well, the team is there to encourage that person and help lift them up."
The Thinner Winner contest is a six-week ordeal in which teams of four to six people work together to lose weight with the winning team taking home the $1,000 grand prize.
"It's going to be a program that gives people a chance to have fun while they are working out in teams," Bratton said. "You get not only the accountability of going to a facility that is designed to provide some accountability, but when you have teams of four to six, it really brings people together, and it creates another tier of accountability."
To enter the contest, the cost for non-members of Fit Culture Studio is $147, and that covers six weeks of unlimited classes at Fit Culture Studio, as well as a nutritional guide and the possibility of winning the cash prize.
If already a member of Fit Culture Studio the cost is $67. Every team must have at least one non-member of Fit Culture Studio on their team.
"(Current members) have to reach out to somebody in the community, and that's why it's more of a community event," Bratton said. "Our community is going to be healthier, happier and stronger as a whole if we get more people on board."
Those interested can build their own team or join individually and be placed on a team. Bratton said he is hoping for at least 15 teams of four to six people.
The competition will have a weigh-in at the start, along with a measurement and a physical assessment.
There will also be a mid-point weigh-in and a final weigh-in. The winning team will have lost the greatest percentage of body weight.
For registration information, call Bratton at (530) 265-5342 or visit fitculturestudio.com.
"This is an avenue that someone can take and run with," Bratton said. "If it gets them excited, then I think it's a good way to start 2013 on the right foot."
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call (530) 477-4232 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union volleyball great Ali Daley McColloch ready for new challenge
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- PREP FOOTBALL: Reasons to get excited about Bear River football in 2017
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- Woman kidnapped from Alta Sierra home, Nevada County authorities say
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Nevada County authorities say bones found near Lake Spaulding belong to Ruendi Ibarra, 26, of Stockton