Callas clobbers competition, takes 1st at Tim Brown Invite
January 21, 2013
Nevada Union wrestler Jonny Callas continued his stellar season Saturday, pinning down a first-place finish in his weight class at the Tim Brown Invitational Tournament.
In victory, Callas also received the Most Outstanding Wrestler Award for the tournament.
"To win this award at this tough tournament just shows who the coaches in the Sacramento area think is the best wrestler at any weight class," Nevada Union coach Gary Sumner said. "Callas beat a top state-ranked wrestler in the finals, and he will be ranked in the top five in state when the new rankings come out."
With the Tim Brown Invitational title, Callas now has four tournament championships this season.
Only two other Miner wrestlers made it past the first day of grappling with Will Sumner and Sawyer Mosel breaking through Friday's competition but being ousted Saturday.
The Tim Brown Invitational Tournament was held at the Sacramento Convention Center and hosted by Foothill High School.
The Miners hit the mat again at 6 p.m. Wednesday when they host Del Oro at the West Gym for their first home dual of the season.
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed