Callas clobbers competition, takes 1st at Tim Brown Invite
January 21, 2013
Nevada Union wrestler Jonny Callas continued his stellar season Saturday, pinning down a first-place finish in his weight class at the Tim Brown Invitational Tournament.
In victory, Callas also received the Most Outstanding Wrestler Award for the tournament.
“To win this award at this tough tournament just shows who the coaches in the Sacramento area think is the best wrestler at any weight class,” Nevada Union coach Gary Sumner said. “Callas beat a top state-ranked wrestler in the finals, and he will be ranked in the top five in state when the new rankings come out.”
With the Tim Brown Invitational title, Callas now has four tournament championships this season.
Only two other Miner wrestlers made it past the first day of grappling with Will Sumner and Sawyer Mosel breaking through Friday’s competition but being ousted Saturday.
The Tim Brown Invitational Tournament was held at the Sacramento Convention Center and hosted by Foothill High School.
The Miners hit the mat again at 6 p.m. Wednesday when they host Del Oro at the West Gym for their first home dual of the season.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping