Bruins boast 10 all-leaguers
December 11, 2012
After an 8-2 regular season and a Sac-Joaquin Section playoff berth, there were plenty of kudos to be handed out for the Bear River football team.
The Bruins had 10 players named to the All-Pioneer Valley League team, eight of whom were first-teamers.
Being named to the first team was offensive lineman Jerry Fuhrman, defensive linemen Jake Savoie and J'Sean Harwood, linebackers Cody Heard and Zach Winter, defensive back Michael Raigoza, wide receiver Tevyn Kimble and quarterback Dillon Smith.
Running back Austin Dowling and defensive back Hunter Cramer were name to the All-PVL second team.
As for team awards, the Offensive MVP award went to Smith. The senior quarterback threw for 1,484 yards and 11 touchdowns this season.
Cody Heard was named the team's Defensive MVP, accounting for 72 tackles, nine sacks, three fumble recoveries and an interception. Heard also rushed for nine touchdowns.
Recommended Stories For You
Linebacker Cameron Barrios was the recipient of the Bear River Coaches award. Barrios showed great versatility this season starting at linebacker for the Bruins and filling in for an injured Smith at quarterback for two games. Barrios finished second on the team in tackles with 74.
Fuhrman was named the Bruins' Most Valuable Offensive Lineman, Harwood and Savoie were named Co-Most Valuable Defensive Linemen, Winter was named the Most Valuable Linebacker, and Tevyn Kimble won the Most Valuable Wide Receiver award.
Team captain Michael Raigoza was named the Bruins' Most Valuable Defensive Back, the Underclassman of the Year award went to Hunter Cramer, and the Rudy Award went to Skylar Silva.
For Smith, Kimble, Fuhrman, Heard, Winter and Savoie, they have one game left to play, as they were chosen to play in the Sacramento Small Schools All Star Game Dec. 22.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP FOOTBALL: Undefeated Bear River travels to El Dorado for final non-league bout
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit