BRRPD to honor Dr. Ralph with park dedication
August 7, 2014
Bear River Recreation & Park District invites the community and friends of Dr. Ralph Schaffarzick to the park dedication in his honor Sunday.
Known as Dr. Ralph or Dr. S by the South Nevada County community, he dedicated his time and services to Bear River High School and Bear River Recreation & Park District. He was instrumental on getting Measure A passed county wide that built the school's swimming pool and performing arts building. The "Dream Team", named by Dr. Ralph, was the dedicated group of South County community members whose goal was to finish Bear River High School and successfully pass Measure A. His wife Doris and he opened up their house for committee meetings and Dr. Ralph attended every Measure A meeting. Measure A also helped refurbish the Nevada Union High School pool facility and Park Avenue school enhancements. He also served on the Bear River High School Foundation, the foundation was formed to help deserving south county students receive grants and scholarships. Dr. Ralph and Doris were ardent supporters of the BRHS girls basketball program and could be seen on game nights on the bleachers in their BRHS sweatshirts.
Dr. Ralph was a founding member of Bear River Recreation & Park District and served on the Bear River Recreation & Park District's Board. His vision became the mission of Bear River Recreation & Park District.
"To provide a wide variety of year-round recreation programs, facilities, and park areas which respond to the needs and desires of all residents of the Bear River Recreation and Park district. This mission is attained by striving to meet the following goals of the Bear River Recreation and Parks District: Enhance the quality of life for all residents through the provision of public recreation programs and services; Develop park areas and recreational facilities to meet the present and future demands of the District residents."
Bear River Recreation & Park District is pleased to be able to name this small community park after Dr. Ralph Schaffarzick.
The dedication is at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the Cascade Crossing Homes by Towne new development, Highway 49 and Combie Road. Park is on the right side immediately after the pond. Reception to follow. To RSVP 530-268-7275 or email@example.com
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River girls hit stride in playoffs
- PREP WRESTLING: Bear River’s Danieli, Carpenter set for Masters
- YOUTH BASKETBALL: Local shooters shine at the charity stripe
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: Kings remove cancer; Lakers shake it up
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Federal, state lawmakers make case for more dams at water symposium (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say