Brewers fall in 3rd round of TOCs
June 20, 2013
In a Little League Tournament of Champions battle, the Bear River Major Division Brewers took on the Tri-City Giants at Colfax's Living War Memorial Park Thursday.
When all was said and done, Tri-City edged the Brewers 3-1 in the third-round matchup with strong pitching and timely hitting.
The Giants grabbed an early lead in the first, going up 1-0 after a singe, a double and a Brewer error.
The Brewers got things going in the fourth when third baseman Anthony Vierra reached safely with one out on a Tri-City error. Cole Winter, 10, then drove in Vierra with a triple, knotting the game at one.
In the bottom of the fourth, a Tri-City batter reached with no outs, but Winter was able to pitch out of the inning.
The Giants took the lead back from the Brewers with a line drive home run off the bat of Chandler Dakin.
The Giants tacked on one more in the inning before Brewers relief pitcher Elliot Bouchier fanned a pair of batters to get out of the inning.
Leading off the sixth inning, Bear River's Trae Nix delivered the Brewers' second hit of the night, which Vierra followed with a single to center field. With runners on first and second and no outs, the Giants made a pitching change. The pitcher struck out the next batter, picked off a Brewer runner, then got the final out on a grounder back to the mound to halt the rally and win the game.
"I am so proud of these boys," Bear River Brewers head coach Cory Cregar said. "We gelled as a team early in the season and competed hard to the very last out. Way to go Brew crew!"
The Tri-City Giants advance to the semifinals against Auburn today at 7:30 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier