Bear River girls beat Colfax, clinch PVL title
February 11, 2014
With a 42-38 road victory over rival Colfax Tuesday night, the Bear River girls basketball team clinched the Pioneer Valley League title all to themselves.
The Lady Bruins shared the PVL title with Colfax and Placer last year and had earned a share three different times since the 2005-06 season, but this is their first outright championship since the 2004-05 season.
Colfax did make a run at the end, closing a 10-point Bear River advantage to just three, but the Lady Bruins hit a late free throw and the Lady Falcons failed to score after that.
In the win over Colfax, senior Kaitlyn Reina led the way with 16 points. Jenn Alberts added 11 points, including three first-half 3-pointers and two critical fourth-quarter free throws. Senior Teryn Rath was impressive on the glass with 15 rebounds to go with seven points.
Bear River (21-2, 8-0 PVL) take the court again Thursday when it travels to Foothill.
JV: Bear River 30,
With a strong defensive effort, the Lady Bruins topped Colfax by 11 Tuesday night at Colfax.
Summer Brown led Bear River with 12 points. Kaitlyn Solomon added seven points, Melanie Jenkins chipped in six and Ashley Albee netted five.
Leading the defensive effort was Grace Sypnicki and Solomon.
Frosh: Bear River 42,
The Lady Bruins went to Colfax Tuesday and thrashed their Pioneer Valley League rival, topping the Lady Falcons by 26.
Alyssa Pulkinghorn led the way for Bear River with 12 points. Lauren Wenger added eight points, all coming in the fourth quarter.
With the win, Bear River improves to 7-1 in PVL play.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier