Bear River Fun Run set for Aug. 2
July 23, 2014
Know and Go
What: Bear River Fun Run
When: 7 a.m. (registration), 8 a.m. (run starts)
Where: Bear River High School
Cost: $25 (Adults), $15 (kids under 10)
Contact: LeeAnn Halleib at 530-550-3923
The annual Bear River 5K/Fun Run is back for its sixth installment and will be held Aug. 2.
The run begins and ends at Bear River High School in South Nevada County and is the sixth race in the Nevada County Grand Prix series of races.
This event is a fundraiser for the South Nevada County Chamber's scholarship fund (the scholarships go to graduating seniors of Bear River High School and Forest Lake Christian High School).
The event is also a fundraiser for the Higgins Fire Department in South Nevada County. After almost two years of reduced staffing and station closings due to budget cuts, Higgins Fire District has been awarded a SAFER (Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response) Grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. The grant allowed the district to rehire the firefighters laid off as a result of budget cuts in 2012, and hire four firefighters to fill the remaining vacancies. This will provide full-time staffing for one additional station.
While the grant will be an important benefit to the residents and business owners in the Higgins Fire District, it is not a permanent funding source. It will provide the fire district's board of directors' additional time to develop options for consistent funding. So this year they are joining the Chamber's Fun Run to help raise funds for their fire district.
The run also fundraises for the Bear River High School Cross Country team. A new coach, who was the old coach, has just been hired at Bear River as the Bruins welcome back Nick Vogt.
Vogt started the very first Bruins cross country and track & field program at Bear River when the school opened in 1986, and coached there off and on throughout the years, as needed or requested by administrators such as Jack McCrory, Dick Werntz, and most recently Duwaine Ganskie.
To register for the race, contact Chamber President/Race Coordinator LeeAnn Halleib at 530-550-3923.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death