Bear River baseball has 5 named to All-PVL team
May 16, 2014
The Bear River baseball team may have come up a bit short of their team goal of making the playoffs, but softening that sting is five individual Bruins being named to the All-Pioneer Valley League baseball team.
Senior first baseman Brandon Donley, senior utility player Jake Sypnicki, senior pitcher Michael Scudero, senior second baseman Tyler Toft and sophomore shortstop Bear Belding were all named to the All-PVL team from Bear River.
Donley was also named the Bruins' team MVP by his coaches, said Bear River head coach Dave Brown.
"He led us in RBIs, big fly's and has the softest hands on defense," Brown said of Donley.
The brutish power hitter led Bear River in RBIs (22) and home runs (3) and was fourth on the team with a .328 batting average.
Sypnicki did a little bit of everything this season, pitching and playing multiple field positions as well as leading the team in batting average (.443) and hits (31).
Scudero was the Bruins' ace on the mound this season and finished with a 4-3 overall record to go with a 2.66 ERA. Scudero also batted .364 and had nine RBIs.
Toft held down second base for the Bruins and regularly batted in the No. 2 spot in the lineup. In his senior season he batted .333 with six doubles and 11 RBIs.
Bear Belding was the lone Bruin underclassmen named to the All-PVL team after batting .324 with 18 RBIs and five doubles.
Colfax's dynamic duo of Wes Woodward (.462 batting average, 30 RBIs, 5 Home runs) and David Campbell (.532 batting average, 23 RBI, 6 home runs) were named co-MVP's of the league. Placer's David Hilton received Coach of the Year after a late season surge saw the Hillmen climb the league standings and make the playoffs.
Bear River finished the season 12-12 overall and 8-7 in league, one game out of a playoff spot.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County