Bear River alum nabs seventh at amateur event
August 11, 2014
Robby Alcombrack, a 2006 Bear River graduate, took seventh place at the Arizona Tour Championship Sunday.
Playing at the Talking Stick Golf Course, Alcombrack shot a first round 85 and second round 76 to finish plus-19; 14 strokes behind the winner.
Currently, Alcombrack plays on the Golf Channel's Amateur Tour where he has eight top-10 finishes, including two in first place.
Alcombrack was known for his baseball prowess while attending Bear River, even earning All-American status as a prep athlete. He was drafted in the seventh round of the MLB amateur draft by the Cleveland Indians in 2006.
As a catcher, Alcombrack toiled in the Indians' system until 2008. After three more years of playing in independent leagues Alcombrack's professional baseball career came to a close.
Pete Ruiz (Nevada Union '05; Portland Sea Dogs) took a loss from the mound for the first time this season after getting shelled by the Bowrie Bay Sox Last Thursday.
Ruiz allowed five runs on four hits after coming out of the bullpen in the loss.
On the season, Ruiz has been strong out of the pen, appearing in 19 games, pitching 39.2 innings, and notching two wins and two saves with a 3.63 ERA.
The Sea Dogs (a Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox) are 75-47 overall this season and are in first place in the Eastern League's Eastern Division.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death