Basketball: Placer edges Bear River in PVL clash
January 28, 2014
The Bear River boys basketball team gave Placer all it could handle Tuesday night, but in the end it was the Hillmen walking away with a home victory, 61-57, over the Bruins.
Bear River fell behind early, trailing 24-14 after one quarter, but fought back to grab the lead in the third quarter. In the third, Bear River outscored Placer 20-7 to take a 47-45 lead.
Clinging on to a two-point lead heading into the fourth, the Bruins were unable to stop the Hillmen in the final period, eventually losing by four.
Leading Bear River was senior Braden Duncan with 21 points, including two 3-pointers. Duncan also took advantage of his time at the charity stripe, hitting 7-of-9 free throws.
Sophomore Ben O'Lena added 14 points, including four 3-pointers, and Charlie Espinosa added six points from the point guard position.
Bear River (8-10, 0-4 Pioneer Valley League)is yet to notch a PVL win this season, but have another crack at it Thursday when it hosts Colfax (11-9, 1-2 PVL) at 7 p.m. in the Jack. R McCrory Gymnasium.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River girls hit stride in playoffs
- PREP WRESTLING: Bear River’s Danieli, Carpenter set for Masters
- YOUTH BASKETBALL: Local shooters shine at the charity stripe
- IN THE WAKE OF THE WEEK: Kings remove cancer; Lakers shake it up
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Federal, state lawmakers make case for more dams at water symposium (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say