Basketball: Placer edges Bear River in PVL clash
January 28, 2014
The Bear River boys basketball team gave Placer all it could handle Tuesday night, but in the end it was the Hillmen walking away with a home victory, 61-57, over the Bruins.
Bear River fell behind early, trailing 24-14 after one quarter, but fought back to grab the lead in the third quarter. In the third, Bear River outscored Placer 20-7 to take a 47-45 lead.
Clinging on to a two-point lead heading into the fourth, the Bruins were unable to stop the Hillmen in the final period, eventually losing by four.
Leading Bear River was senior Braden Duncan with 21 points, including two 3-pointers. Duncan also took advantage of his time at the charity stripe, hitting 7-of-9 free throws.
Sophomore Ben O'Lena added 14 points, including four 3-pointers, and Charlie Espinosa added six points from the point guard position.
Bear River (8-10, 0-4 Pioneer Valley League)is yet to notch a PVL win this season, but have another crack at it Thursday when it hosts Colfax (11-9, 1-2 PVL) at 7 p.m. in the Jack. R McCrory Gymnasium.
Trending In: Sports
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later