Auburn Ski Club Snowboarders headed to Sochi
January 28, 2014
Auburn Ski Club snowboard athletes Ryan Stassel and Karly Piper Shorr have been named to the 2014 Sochi US Olympic team by the US Ski and Snowboard Association.
Both will compete in the new Olympic event of slopestyle scheduled for Feb. 6-9. Stassel and Shorr train and compete with the ASC Training Center Snowboard program based on Donner Summit.
Shorr, from Milford, Mich., has been a member of the ASC Training Center Snowboard program since 2011. Shorr's 2012 and 2013 overall first place in the USSA Revolution Tour qualified her to compete in the 2014 USSA Grand Prix Olympic qualifying events.
This season Shorr placed 10th at the Copper Mountain World Cup and at the Olympic team qualifiers had two second places and a sixth place to gain a spot on the Sochi Olympic team.
Stassel, an Anchorage native, also came to the Tahoe area six years ago to train and compete with the highly successful ASC Training Center snowboard program. After two successive wins of the USSA's Revolution Tour Slopestyle Championships, Stassel was nominated to the FIS Junior World team where he placed high in both New Zealand and Italy. A 19th at the World Championships of Snowboarding in Oslo, Norway, was followed with a seventh at the World Cup Championships in Stoneham, Canada. During this season's Olympic qualifying Grand Prix events he placed seventh at the Copper Mountain World Cup and first, third and fourth at Mammoth Mountain.
Past ASC Olympians include ski jumper Roy Mikkelsen, IV Olympics in 1936 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, biathlon skier Glenn Jobe at the XIII Lake Placid Olympics in 1980, and speed skier Jeff Hamilton, bronze medalist at the XVI Olympics in 1992 at Albertville, France.
Recommended Stories For You
ASCTC is located on Donner Summit adjacent to Boreal Mountain Resort. More information about the ASC Training Center and the programs offered in winter sports can be found at http://www.auburnskiclub.org or by calling 530-426-3313.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans