Army extends full-ride offer to Hannum
November 29, 2012
After having his eligibility to play football in his senior season denied by the Sac-Joaquin Section, Nevada Union’s Cole Hannum just may lace up his cleats and take to the gridiron again. Or at least he has the opportunity to do so.
The senior transfer student from Marysville High School was offered a full-ride scholarship Wednesday to attend and play football for the Army Black Knights in West Point, N.Y.
“I’m thrilled for him,” Nevada Union football head coach Dave Humphers said. “He’s a tremendous young man and a super hard worker … He’s got an opportunity to attend one of the finest academic institutions in the world.”
Humphers’ son, Gabe Humphers, accepted a scholarship last year to attend and play at Army.
Hannum, who made an unofficial visit to West Point a month ago, said he is excited to get the offer, but he is keeping his options open.
“I’m still deciding with my family right now,” Hannum said. “I’m keeping all my options open. I’m not saying ‘no’ to anything. There are a lot of schools I’m interested in. It’s just a matter of if they are interested in me without my senior year.”
Hannum has until Feb. 6, national signing day, to make his decision.
If Hannum decides to attend Army, he will join a program that is 2-9 so far this season.
Hannum, a bruising running back and talented linebacker, transferred to Nevada Union over the summer but never played a down after being ruled ineligible by the Sac-Joaquin Section for perceived transfer violations.
While attending Marysville, Hannum was named the Golden Empire League MVP as a junior when he amassed 1,827 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns and accounted for 105 tackles. As a sophomore on the varsity team, Hannum ran for 1,259 yards, scored nine touchdowns and made 104 tackles.
Although Hannum was denied football eligibility, he was granted eligibility for all other sports and is currently on the NU basketball team.
To contact Sports Writer Walter Ford call (530) 477-4232 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- PREP WRESTLING: 2 Bruins claim DIV championships
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers