Army extends full-ride offer to Hannum
November 29, 2012
After having his eligibility to play football in his senior season denied by the Sac-Joaquin Section, Nevada Union's Cole Hannum just may lace up his cleats and take to the gridiron again. Or at least he has the opportunity to do so.
The senior transfer student from Marysville High School was offered a full-ride scholarship Wednesday to attend and play football for the Army Black Knights in West Point, N.Y.
"I'm thrilled for him," Nevada Union football head coach Dave Humphers said. "He's a tremendous young man and a super hard worker … He's got an opportunity to attend one of the finest academic institutions in the world."
Humphers' son, Gabe Humphers, accepted a scholarship last year to attend and play at Army.
Hannum, who made an unofficial visit to West Point a month ago, said he is excited to get the offer, but he is keeping his options open.
"I'm still deciding with my family right now," Hannum said. "I'm keeping all my options open. I'm not saying 'no' to anything. There are a lot of schools I'm interested in. It's just a matter of if they are interested in me without my senior year."
Recommended Stories For You
Hannum has until Feb. 6, national signing day, to make his decision.
If Hannum decides to attend Army, he will join a program that is 2-9 so far this season.
Hannum, a bruising running back and talented linebacker, transferred to Nevada Union over the summer but never played a down after being ruled ineligible by the Sac-Joaquin Section for perceived transfer violations.
While attending Marysville, Hannum was named the Golden Empire League MVP as a junior when he amassed 1,827 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns and accounted for 105 tackles. As a sophomore on the varsity team, Hannum ran for 1,259 yards, scored nine touchdowns and made 104 tackles.
Although Hannum was denied football eligibility, he was granted eligibility for all other sports and is currently on the NU basketball team.
To contact Sports Writer Walter Ford call (530) 477-4232 or email him at email@example.com
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU graduate Tanner Vallejo wraps up first tackles in NFL
- DISC GOLF: Local disc golfer Gregg Barsby talks about life on the pro tour
- YOUTH GOLF: Local golfers impress at Truckee-Tahoe Tour Championship
- PREP FOOTBALL: Humphers returns to coaching, joins River Valley staff
- PREP FOOTBALL: Digging into the Miners’ 2017 schedule
- Nevada County coroner: San Francisco man disappears while swimming in South Yuba River
- Love at first bite: A chance pit stop on a country road turned into a booming business for Ajay Avery
- Nevada County coroner: Homicide victim Brian Sharp had meth in his system
- Grass Valley’s Culture Shock Yogurt prepares to close downtown location
- Grass Valley family in need of financial help for son’s recovery from liver transplant — and his donor