Alumni notebook: Soria makes NY league All-Star game
July 15, 2014
Shane Soria, a 2012 Forest Lake Christian graduate and member of the Rochester Ridge Runners baseball team, continued his impressive 2014 campaign by being named to the New York Collegiate Baseball League All-Star game.
Soria, an outfielder, went 0-for-1 in the All-Star game July 8.
Since the All-Star game, Soria has helped the Rochester Ridge Runners win three out of five games.
Soria has gone 5-for-14 from the plate, with four walks and three runs scored in the five games since the All-Star game.
On the season, Soria is batting .322 with 12 RBI, 20 runs scored and five stolen bases.
The Ridge Runners are 19-16 this season and trail the Hornell Dodgers by 8.5 games in the New York Collegiate Baseball League standings.
Josh Roenicke (Nevada Union '01; Syracuse Chiefs) took a no-decision from the mound as the Chiefs took a 5-3 loss to the Charlotte Knights Saturday.
Roenicke pitched five innings and allowed three runs on eight hits while striking out four. The Chiefs (a triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals) and Knights were tied at three when Roenicke was relieved, but two eighth- inning runs by the Knights was the difference.
Roenicke is 4-4 on the mound this season with a 5.36 ERA. The Chiefs are 57-39 this season and lead the International League Standings by four games.
Chad Batlomé, (Nevada Union '01; Sacramento Republic FC) and the Republic split a pair of soccer games last week, falling to Atlas FC, 2-1 and beating Orange County Blues FC, 2-1.
Bartlome, a forward with the Republic, assisted on Sacramento's one goal against Atlas, sending a through ball to a streaking Max Alvarez, who put the ball past the keeper for a 1-0 lead.
That would be it for Sacramento, though, and Atlas responded with two straight goals in the second half to take the win.
Batlomé has played in 13 of the Republic's 17 games this season and has one goal and two assists.
The Republic are 9-6-2 this season and sit in fourth place in the USL Pro standings.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers
- 25th Mardi Gras parade, celebration parties on in Nevada City despite rain
- Storm expected to pick up steam, drop 5-6 inches of rain through Tuesday