Alumni notebook: Roenicke returns to Colorado
August 18, 2014
Josh Roenicke, a 2001 Nevada Union graduate, is back in the Colorado Rockies system after signing a minor league contract to pitch for the Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
Roenicke was a relief pitcher for the Rockies from 2011-12, appearing in 82 MLB games during that span.
Roenicke, 32, had spent the 2014 season with the Syracuse Chiefs (a Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals) up until signing with Colorado Springs Aug. 12.
Since joining the Sky Sox, Roenicke has been called upon twice out of the bullpen, once against the Sacramento River Cats and again Saturday against the Fresno Grizzlies.
Roenicke has thrown a total of two innings for Colorado Springs, allowing one earned run, one hit and striking out one.
For the 2014 season Roenicke, a righty, is 4-6, with a 5.42 ERA, having started 15 games and pitched in 25.
Pete Ruiz (Nevada Union '05; Portland Sea Dogs) put in some work out of the Sea Dogs' bullpen Aug. 12, throwing one inning of hitless ball, but Portland still fell to Akron, 5-4.
On the season, Ruiz is 2-1 out of the bullpen with a 3.54 ERA and two saves in 40.2 innings pitched.
Chad Bartlomé (Nevada Union '05; Sacramento Republic) and the Republic had a fine time Sunday as they clobbered the Orange County Blues FC, 6-1.
The win improves the Republic to 14-6-3 in the USL PRO standings, ranking them third with just five games left on the schedule.
Bartlomé has played in 21 of the Republic's 23 games and started 12 of those. On the season, he has one goal, two assists and taken 16 shots.
Cole Stanford (Nevada Union '09) is no longer with the New England Patriots after being let go in early August, according to nesn.com
Stanford was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on July 27.
While at Nevada Union Stanford was a standout receiver and safety.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later