Alumni Notebook: Reeves’ Mustangs win BWC tourney, earn spot in NCAA women’s tourney
March 18, 2013
Caroline Reeves, a 2008 Nevada Union graduate, played in two games last week at the Big West Conference tournament in Anaheim as the Lady Mustangs defeated UC Santa Barbara and University of the Pacific to punch their ticket to the NCAA women's basketball tourney.
In Friday's 62-43 win in the semi-finals over the Lady Gauchos, Reeves shot 0-of-3 from the floor, but contributed 28 minutes and was a perfect 6-of-6 shooting at the free throw line to finish with six points, a rebound and a pair of assists. Cal Poly led 22-19 at the half and went on to outscore Santa Barbara 40-24 as it shot 50 percent from the floor in the second half.
Saturday the Lady Mustangs battled Pacific in the Big West championship game and came away with a 63-49 victory. Reeves shot 4-of-7 from the floor to go with 10 points, six boards, an assist and a blocked shot. The Lady Mustangs' defense held the Lady Tigers to just 32.8 percent shooting and won the battle on the glass as they collected 18 more rebounds. Cal Poly was also solid from the foul line making 24-of-30 attempts and never trailed by
Trending In: Sports
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed