ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad McCarthy wins again for Gold Sox
June 19, 2017
Ryan McCarthy, a 2013 Nevada Union graduate, had a strong outing on the bump to earn his second straight win and help the Marysville Gold Sox top the Yuba City Bears, 4-2, last week.
McCarthy, a 6-foot, 4-inch right-handed starting pitcher, earned his second win of the season after tossing 5.1 innings, allowing two hits, five walks, one earned run and striking out three.
For the season, McCarthy has started four games, is 2-1 overall and has a 4.41 ERA.
Fellow Nevada Union graduate and pitcher for the Gold Sox Garrett O'Callaghan ('14) also got a start last week, but only lasted three innings and took a loss against the Chico Heat.
O'Callaghan has started three games this season and is 0-2 overall.
Dalton Maxwell (Nevada Union '15) also saw some game action with the Gold Sox last week, playing in a pair of losses to the Chico Heat.
Maxwell, an infielder, was solid from the plate with four hits in nine plate appearances across the two games.
For the season, Maxwell has played in eight games and is batting .250.
The Gold Sox (6-11) are a collegiate wood bat baseball team that plays in the Great West League.
Josh Roenicke (Nevada Union '01; Pericos de Puebla) took the mound once last week, helping the Pericos de Puebla beat the Guerreros de Oaxaca, 6-4.
Roenicke, a 6-foot, 3-inch righty, got the start and went seven innings, allowing six hits and one earned run while striking out eight and walking one. Roenicke did not figure into the decision.
For the season, Roenicke has started 13 games, is 6-3 overall and has a 2.83 ERA.
The Pericos de Puebla (32-33) are a Triple-A minor league team that plays in the Mexican League.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4232.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- Nevada County race team competes in The Great Race
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad McCarthy wins again for Gold Sox
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)