ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union, Bear River alumni hit court during holiday weekend
November 28, 2016
David Menary, a 2016 Nevada Union graduate, and the University of Redlands Bulldogs spent the holiday weekend at the Scotts Valley Hilton Classic basketball tourney where they split a pair of games.
Menary, a freshmen forward, scored three points, grabbed four rebounds and doled out three assists off the bench in a 61-59 loss to Pacific.
In Redlands' 77-72 victory over UC Santa Cruz, Menary pulled down two rebounds and had a steal in 7 minutes of action.
Redlands (1-1) is an NCAA Division III school that plays in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
While Menary was at Nevada Union he was a three-year varsity starter and a two-time All-Sierra Foothill League First Team selection.
Cody Wilcox, a 2011 Nevada Union graduate, and the William Jessup Warriors took a loss in their only game last week, falling to UC Merced, 87-76.
Wilcox, a senior center, got the start, scored five points, grabbed four rebounds and blocked a shot.
William Jessup (6-3) is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and competes in the Golden State Athletic Conference.
Kaitlyn Reina, a 2014 Bear River graduate, and the San Marcos Cougars split two games at the University of California, San Diego Thanksgiving Day Classic.
Reina, a junior forward, scored three points and nabbed two steals in the Cougars 80-49 loss to No. 23 Saginaw Valley State. Reina briefly took the court but did not score in San Marcos' 79-61 victory over Azusa Pacific.
San Marcos (3-2) is a NCAA Division II team that competes in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
While Reina was at Bear River she led the Lady Bruins to back-to-back Pioneer Valley League championships, was a two-time All-PVL First Team selection and was named the league's MVP in her senior season.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4232.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Sports
- RUNNING: Gold Country Grand Prix off and running with Paint the Town Blue for Mitch 5K/10K
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Forest Lake Christian grad Hayden Piner pitches Warriors past Hawks
- PREP TRACK & FIELD: Gough leads Nevada Union at Bella Vista Distance Carnival
- STRENGTH AND GRACE: Mikaela Lujan dives through adversity, comes away stronger
- Nevada County Adult Sports Association’s Player of the Week: Michelle Wallace
- Nevada County fatality: Motorcyclist was thrown into utility pole, CHP states
- Nevada County home invasion leads to arrests, authorities say
- Homeless man dying of cancer finally gets long-term care in Grass Valley
- Nevada County fatality: Motorcyclist dies after Rough and Ready Highway wreck
- Nevada County prosecutors say review of Hollitz cases could take months, 60-80 cases could be impacted